Tuesday, May 24, 2005

More for me. Bless my soul

Note to KKEGEL this morning:

did I tell you about the most delicious bread in the
whole wide world? vermont bread company's multigrain.
so good. not too sweet, not too nutty/grainy. amazing
with tuna. ah! [speed racer ] is hip to the
bread company too. she likes soft wheat.

in other news, I couldn't really feel the left side of
my arm yesterday. pins and needles. I could feel it all the way
to the tip of my pinkie. I took a walk last night in
order to spend one last night alone with my arm in the
event that I would lose it forever.

it feels a little less ginger ale now.

going to [sax ]'s tonight. went to blockbuster last
night. guess what I found...

MAYOR OF SUNSET STRIP!!!

rented that plus MONDO TRASHO (john waters) and THE MOTHER
(old lady screws a younger mustashioed man.
written by hanif kureshi--- my beautiful laundrette
and buddha of suburbia)


Finding free stuff on my desk since yesterday. Are these gifts? Or insults?

MONDAY: two opened half eaten boxes of chocolates. the fancy French kind with colorful designs on each candy.

TUESDAY: Shaun of the Dead on DVD

Saw two Jazz shows last Tuesday and Saturday nights: Billy Hart and Andrew Hill respectively. Then Friday at Sahara East, (east village) I asked Sax why all the young jazz cats of nyc are white dudes.

Sax: Fuck if I know...

Colette: Is it because of money? Resources? Is Jazz now a middle class artform?

Sax: All art is middle class(he's so smart)... Red Alert (DJ) wasn't poor growing up. John Coltraine never stuggled for money. His mother send him $25 every week... He wrote her thank you notes.

ANYONE READ THE SPECIAL IN THE NY TIMES ABOUT CLASS ISSUES?

Sax has a point. One needs money to be an artist in order to support their dream. But, Jay-Z is a product of the Marcy Projects in BK. Juvenile is a product of the Magnolia Projects in New Orleans... But these are only rappers. Have young Black people (people of color) moved on from Jazz/Blues because its a dying art or is it from a lack of resources and exposure? Do class issues relate to the importance of "bling"?

I grew up listening to David Bowie and Pavement. Sax thinks that the first Black Sheep record is incredible. No! I think that he hasn't been exposed to the good East Coast rap shit.

Well fuck if I know, I can't stop eating the delicious bread that I bought on Sunday. And, red bean buns from Chinatown! My food obsession has officially gone global! Going back to yoga tomorrow so as the rest my aching arm.

And I need more condoms.

3 comments:

YUMMICOCO said...

oh! started reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. funny. Palahniuk looks like such a jovial, chill kind of guy in the back cover pic. Kind of ruins the seedyness of the book for me.

other books to read:

-Fingersmith
-Fountainhead (which KKEGEL promised me for my birthday June 27th!!!)

Allison Bojarski said...

music lessons cost money, but teaching yourself to be a rapper is free.

that's part of why you see less black jazz musicians.

also, jazz is dying (unfortunately).

YUMMICOCO said...

its true. sax used to go to jazz summer camp as a kid. that's why he's dorky God Bless him but I love him so much.