Monday, March 07, 2005

"Take your sheets and go home"

My mother said to me when I asked if I could take a new "bed in a bag" set that my parents had stashed away in my brother's room back with me to the Slope. It would have looked perfect in my bright yellow room.

Mother: Do you have a guest tonight?

Colette: no! (was she thinking male guest?)

Reading Intimacy by Hanif Kureshi. Its great. So great that I left it at home on my way into work. The story is set the night before a man is planning to leave his wife and children. Told my father about it Saturday afternoon. He's a philosopher so I quoted Foucault to impress him on our way over to Shop Rite.

Colette: The soul is the prison of the body.

Dad: ah ha of course yes but I think that its the other way around...

No, Dad, because the soul is so overwhelming, more powerful than the body. Loaded with desires, wants and needs, we become enslaved by it. Our bodies can only do so much but our soul requires more. Fuck, what's my point?

So I hung out with Sam the teacher on Friday. Saw not-so romantic Gunner Palace (GP) at the Angelika Movie Theatre. GP is a docu about US troops in Iraq. I chose the movie because I thought that he would like it. I thought that it was the decent thing to do since he was paying and all. He is patiently waiting to pounce, I wrote to KKEGEL this morning. So the longer he waits, the more free movies and meals that I accrue.

Sam is a self- proclaimed pragmatist and believes in the system. I have no idea what he sees in me.

I was with Sax last night. I named his tenor sax Bobby Sax and we smoked lemon flavored tobacco out of his hooka while watching Sun Ra's Space is the Place.

Pimp from the movie: Even if that bitch had a soul, how's music ever gonna touch it?

Cds that Sax burned for me:

-Are we not men? We are Devo
-Os Mutantes (its 60s Caetano,BMuse)
-Stevie Wonder (the album with Golden Lady)
-Frances the Mute, Mars Volta

8 comments:

Jenny said...

os mutantes is awesome and i've been enjoying the new mars volta album.

YUMMICOCO said...

yeah I was listening to mars this morning.

so what about the beck interview?

Allison Bojarski said...

yes Os Mutantes rock.

did you know their name means "The Mutants"?

if you like it I can burn you more stuff like it...

YUMMICOCO said...

yay, I'd love that thanks.

I figured that the mutantes was mutants but then I thought that OS meant US so US MUTANTS.

Allison Bojarski said...

cool. seriously, i love sharing the brazilian music and will burn you some.

"os" is masculine, plural form of "the."

pronounce it: "oos moo-TAHN-chees"

Avram Polinsky said...

I think I saw that Sun Ra movie.
I remember one part where there were singing "We're living in the Space Age".
Goofy movie.
Part blaxplotation, part avant garde, part philosophical, part huh?

At least I hope that's the same movie you is talkin about.

YUMMICOCO said...

totally part huh? so true. I actually really liked it though.

sun ra was pretty out there. Sax had a friend that played with sun ra. He lived in his apartment too beacuse in order to play with sun ra, one had to live with him too. anyway, sun ra would sit on him every morning in order to wake him up. then the group would play for three hours straight.

all I ate today was oatmeal.

YUMMICOCO said...

don't out me, lex, on my blog. MYOB!

I miss your blog too.