Friday, April 21, 2006

Frederick Douglass is the King of Spades.

Yesterday at the biggest Jam Band Extravaganza (why was I there? show was meant as a play on the Grammys. I sat, legs crossed as if I was watching a lecture but not taking notes) my old college roommate phoned my cell just as Zappa plays Zappa started to jam...

Old Roomie: Thanks so much for telling me to buy that test!

(she wanted to wait until she saw the gyno two weeks from now because she did not want to pay for co-pay + at home test. she's not poor, people, she's a big cheapo)

Yummicoco: Great! so what did you find out?

Old Roomie: I'm pregnant!

Then my sprint phone cuts out and dies.

Anyway, she's getting married in June. I left a message on her cell today in an attempt to negotiate her wedding plans so that they may fit into my schedule.

Sax: Shit, yr like a terrible person.

I was surprisingly impressed with Dweezil Zappa. He really did a great job putting together the tribute band to his dad. I remember peeking through a copy of Playgirl with ccstar when we were like eleven to get a peek of Dweeze and his hot brother Ahmet.

Sax was transfixed the whole night. We left the show just after Zappa because there was no fucking way that I was going to stay to watch more and more jam bands until 12midnight.

Yummicoco: there is no fucking way I'm staying here until midnight.

Sax: Well, fuck it. At least we saw Chick Corea and Zappa. Wait, who else is playing? (he quickly scoures the playbill for the show line-up)

He searches that sucker feverishly as I zip up my hoodie, ready to get the hell out of there. He wants to stay.

Yummicoco: I dunno (did not say "I don't care" because I didn't care and plus I was feeling PMSy and swollen)

As we exit, run into co-worker. Attempted to introduce Sax to co-worker but he was still nose deep into playbill searching for the band line-up. He wanted to find a reason to beg me to turn back.

He was that happy.

Turned out we only missed Peter Frampton.

I guess my exective decision did not affect his overall happiness.

On Easter Sunday, while playing PoKeNo with African American Heritege playing cards...

ccstar (calling out cards): Frederick Douglass is the King of Spades

Sax starts cracking up "That's so racist!"

I laugh cuz its funny. ccstar does not for fear that her cousin's boyfriend is finally revealing himself as a racist.

Then ccstar calls out next card "Harriet Tubman is the Queen of Spades".

We laughed but Sax found it the most funniest of all three of us.

Then I remembered how in college my good Chinese girlfriend was telling another good friend and I about a cool Chinese place that served a great dinner.

I can not remember the name but it had "fuck" somewhere in it and my other good friend laughed and laughed some more.

My Chinese friend didn't get it.

I held in my laughter because I keep my ignorance to myself and express it in awkward moments.

Getting ready to go home. Have to call friend to convince her to get married on the day that I am most available.

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my friend might consider getting married on date that I requested.

-yummi